Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gotta Start Somewhere

Blogging seems to be the new thing.  I have been writing letters to Carter every few months for him to read when he's older... although I'm quite certain that I'll be the only one interested in reading them.  The boys' lives are just flying by, and I feel like nothing really gets remembered.  There may be pictures that are fun to look at, and videos that are fun to watch (I use the term "fun" loosely when talking about home videos... the majority of them are so boring you can hardly stand it, but you just keep watching because you took them and when you took them you thought "this will be so great to see and remember them when they're like this!" so you if you don't watch them, they'll seem pointless), but I never remember really how I felt.  So I've decided to blog about life in general, and raising my children.  I debated over when to start my blog, thinking "well, I should probably just wait until I get pregnant again, but then I don't want to seem like I'm favoring that child over Carter and Matthew" (if you don't know me very well, know this: I have an unhealthy obsession with everything being the same for every child).  So I decided I would just do it, and there's no time like the present, right?

     So normally Carter sleeps until sometime between 9:00-9:30am, but today he decided to start his day around 6:30am... I assume he thought it was his normal time, but for some reason he was just so darn tired... how do I know this?  He actually admitted to being sleepy when he woke up, and he laid in bed with me for about an hour before even asking for Elmo (we watch Elmo in my/Aaron's bed every morning when he first gets up).  Normally, I am absolutely against having a child sleep in bed with an adult- it's dangerous and the kids get hooked and then don't want to sleep in their own beds and it becomes quite the problem.  However, I assumed there wouldn't be any sleeping and it would be more like Carter crawling all over the bed or watching Elmo.  I don't mind having him in my bed for an hour or less in the mornings... in fact, I love it.  I love every moment I get to spend with him cuddling (although, it's normally him laying in Aaron's spot and me sleeping while he watches his beloved Elmo), so when he actually does want to lay right next to me and cuddle, I welcome it.  And sometimes he will just put his hand on me while I sleep... and there's just something about that that I absolutely love.  I know he's not going to want to want any kind of physical contact in a relatively short amount of time, so I'll take it every chance I can get it, and I definitely savor it.

     Anyway, we went to the pool this afternoon, and all was going well:  Carter is beginning to not freak out when I dunk him under water when he jumps in or jumps up in the air in the pool, so him and I were having fun swimming, and Matthew was having fun swimming with a little boy from swim team.  Carter and I went back to the baby pool, and he was bending over in the deeper part of the baby pool trying to pick something up, when it happened.  He fell over.  The lady next to me (which, thank goodness, was a family friend) and I both waited to see if he would stand up on his own, but he didn't.  He was clearly struggling, trying to swim and trying to stand up, but he just couldn't get his feet on the ground and his head above water.  We both jumped up and ran into the pool and I picked him up... it had only been a couple seconds, I'm sure, but it felt like eternity.  I think I was more scared and freaked out than he was... I just about cried, and felt awful that I didn't jump up right away and go in after him, but I honestly thought he would be able to just stand up.  Seeing him struggle under water for what seemed like such a long time was quite possibly the scariest thing I think I've ever had happen.  Thankfully, I think I was more scarred from the event than he was... he was already talking about playing in the baby pool before we left (which was right after it happened).  Hopefully it helped that he's been going under water a little more each time we go to the pool.  Ugh, it was so awful.

     The rest of our day was great- Matthew and I picked blackberries from some bushes on the edge of our woods, and are planning on making jam with them.  He's so excited to help!  Him and I have also started watching a couple of "The Munsters" episodes and eating popcorn together each night.  He seemed to really be looking forward to it tonight, and I found myself excited for it, too!  :)  I'm happy to be able to have something to share with him... Aaron doesn't like the show, and Carter gets bored with it after one episode usually, so Matthew and I end up watching it by ourselves.  :)  Then bedtime is always a breeze with them... Matthew gets himself ready and goes to bed, and Carter has had the same bedtime routine since he was just a month or so old, so he goes to bed soo easily.  Aaron and I really are blessed to have such wonderful boys.  :)  I'd love to have a little girl, but I would also love to have another little boy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment