Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Storm Chaser

Carter's Reaction to Thunder
     Carter loves storms.  He frequently looks out the window, stating that he wants to see lightning and hear thunder.  He gets so excited when I tell him a storm is coming, and he climbs up on the back of the couch to watch the storm out of our front window.  Then, if the lightning isn't heavy enough, he knocks on the window and yells "more lightning!!," as though there is someone controlling it.  So this evening, when a storm rolled in, was no different.  He dropped what he was doing when I told him about the lightning and ran to the couch.  He oohed and ahhed and knocked and yelled (for more).  You would think he was at a fireworks show (which, by the way, he is just as passionate about!).  Every time he would see a flash of lightning, he would gasp and look at me with these wide-as-they-can-be bright blue eyes, and his jaw dropped just about to the floor.

Delighted after seeing some lightning
     I don't think I have ever met a toddler who is so in love with storms.  There was even a storm a couple of weeks ago that came at about 6am, which is way before Carter wakes up, and I wasn't sure if it had woken him up... until he called for me in the morning when he woke for the day.  I walked in his room, and he says "lightning all gone?  More lightning!!"  You would think that such a small child would be terrified of storms... as Matthew was afraid of them up until Carter decided that he loves them.  Then I think Matthew must have decided that if a 2 year old can like them, he can too.  In fact, Carter has even lessened my worry when we get a bad one; he has shown me that they really can be a beautiful and interesting thing to watch.  Instead of watching the weather when we get a storm, I watch the wind, thunder and lightning with my baby boy, and remember that God will keep us safe.  It's amazing what these little guys can teach us!


Part of the storm system that Carter and I watched this evening

No comments:

Post a Comment